9. IBPA’s Industry Standards Checklist for a Professionally Published Book
In March 2017, IBPA’s Advocacy Committee published an Industry Standards Checklist for a Professionally Published Book. The purpose of the checklist is to give book authors and industry professionals an at-a-glance gauge of the professional presentation of any book in order to help level the playing field between indie publishers and large-scale conglomerates.
“Too often, IBPA has noticed a bias against self-published authors, independent publishers, and hybrid presses when it comes to choosing titles or authors for review consideration, book award contests, association memberships, and inclusion on independent bookstore shelves,” said IBPA CEO Angela Bole. “IBPA’s Industry Checklist for a Professionally Published Book will help industry professionals and independent publishers and authors bridge this gap by offering a structured means by which to ensure that books be judged on merit and quality rather than on the business model used to produce them or the size of the publisher.”
Downloadable Examples & Resources
Reference the July 2017 issue of IBPA Independent magazine for examples of great design. If you no longer have your copy, you can order one here for $4.95 per issue – essentially the cost of shipping. Also check out:
- Sample 1: General Cover (.png)
- Sample 2.1: General Cover (no awards) (.jpg)
- Sample 2.2: General Cover (with awards) (.jpg)
- Sample 1: Print Ready Cover (paperback) (.pdf)
- Sample 2: Print Ready Cover (paperback) (.pdf)
- Sample 3: Print Ready Cover (full jacket) (.pdf)
INTERIOR DESIGN SPREADS
The following interior design spreads are linked with permission of the publisher.
- Sample 1: Interior Spread (.jpg)
- Sample 2: Interior Spread (.jpg)
- Sample 3: Interior Spread (.jpg)
- Sample 4: Interior Spread (.pdf)
- Sample 5: Interior Spread (.png)
The title page is often the very first page of the book (if you don’t include a half-title page).
Copyright pages vary, but all contain the same general information. Below are copyright page examples linked with permission of the publisher.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mollybra/public_html/wp-content/themes/mb/single.php on line 51